Pro Wrestling Only

Bret, Warrior, and LOD to get DVDs

Guest Some Guy

Guest Some Guy

WWE is currently working on a new documentary style DVD about the Survivor Series incident from Montreal in 1997 involving Bret Hart. The DVD will be titled "Screwed: The Bret Hart Story."

Other DVDs currently in the works: A 2-disc set on the Ultimate Warrior; A 2-disc set on The Road Warriors; A 2-disc set on WWE Legends; and a 2-disc set on ECW's "Greatest Matches." All of these DVDs are due out before the end of 2005.

Credit: PWInsider.com

I can understand the Bret, LOD, Legends, and ECW, but the Warrior one has me baffled. Is there really a market for it? In the grand scheme of things he was a flash in the pan. Me being the moron that I am, I'll no doubt buy all of them. If Hogan/Warrior II is on the UW's disc I'm there in a second. I have to see that fucking thing.

I really hope the legends disc sells well so we can get some indivdual Legend 2 or 3 disc sets.

The Bret disc will be WWE propaganda, but in the end Vince was right (at least in the short term to turf out Bret and go the direction he went. I think that Bret would be a great ambasador for WWE now if all the things that happened hadn't.

Guest Hunter's Torn Quad

I wonder if the disc will mention Bret had the contractual right to refuse any finish presented to him. Especially ironic with how Vince goes nuts whenever someone breaks one of his contracts.

Guest Some Guy

I don't know that he had the right to refuse any finish. I think he had "reasonable creative control". To me refusing to drop a title clean because you don't like the guy and the match is in a part of your home country that keeps trying to seceed from it is unreasonable. That being said what was done to Bret wasn't the ideal way to handle the situation. I think they will bring it up and give that explanation, actually.

The problem I see with this disc is the same one as with the Confidential piece, only one side gets to tell the story. Bret won't do it unless he is the only one who gets the tell the story (at least that's my understanding of it), Bulldog and Owen are dead, and Neidhart is a bumbling idiot who thought that Vince and WCW were working together, he said so in an old Eyada WOL, so he probably thought the whole thing was a work. The other guys who were there who still work for WWE, like Taker, Brisco, HHH, JBL, and Kane are going to side with Vince. I'm not sure I've ever heard Austin discuss this, I don't think he even touched on it in his book and I think Foley pretty much said that he was really pissed when it happened but sort came to realize that is was the right thing to do.

This will be even worse than the Monday Night Wars, as no one from the other side will be represented.

I was listening to WOL a few weeks back and Shawn's role in Montreal was brought and they made a big deal about him not apologizing to Bret after he was reborn. They seem to ignore the possibility that Shawn doesn't feel sorry for it because he thought and still thinks it was the right thing to do given the circumstances (you can argue whether it was or not for ever). I'm not at all saying HBK was angel, even he'll admit that but to impune a guy for not apologizing for something he probably feels was the right thing to do is wrong.

Guest Hunter's Torn Quad

Bret had the right to refuse any finish that he and Vince did not both agree on. Bret didn't agree on losing to Shawn, so he had the right to refuse it.

Bret at first refused to lose the belt to Shawn period, but eventually agreed to do so, just not in Canada. Any seceeding that Canada might nor might not want to do has nothing to do with this.

All Bret wanted to do was leave Canada as Champion, and was more than willing to lose the belt to anyone, even Shawn, once they got back to the US.

It should be pointed out that Vince didn't have a problem when Austin refused to drop the IC belt to Rocky the next month, especially when Austin had no such clause in his contract giving him that right, not to mention the numerous times Shawn refused to job and/or drop titles, when he too had no such contractual right.

Vince only has a problem with such things when it suits him.

Guest TheShawshankRudotion

I thought this was already made...

"Wrestling with Shadows"?

There are only 3 reasons I could see them making this for:

1) Vince's quest to rewrite history continues. He still isn't happy with the version that is out there. Damn Tampa fans.

2) They want to make money and see this as an opportunity.

3) They want Bret Hart back, so they can make even more money, so they're willing to say "We were wrong, he was right" to get him to do so.

Guest Bruiser Chong

These all are comps I'd purchase in a heartbeat, although the Bret Hart one sounds like a joke. Honestly, I'm so tired of hearing about Montreal that I don't think any more dwelling on it needs to be done. It'll have been eight years this November since it happened and I'd say all of the ramifications it caused have long since come and gone.

Guest Some Guy

They could put War Games from GAB 89 (Hawk wins it with a hangman) on LOD's disc and keep the first 1 for the Horsemen set. I just hope with the LOD that they use all their footage, AWA, JCP, WCW, and WWF, and not act as though the WWF was the highlight of their careers.