Pro Wrestling Only

RVD vs. Sabu

goodhelmet

Flying High Again  

36 members have voted

1. 1. Who was better?

• Mr. Monday Night
    • Homicidal Suicidal

Five years ago I would have answered RVD. But having re-watched all of 1995 ECW, and currently working on '96, my opinion has changed.

RVD and the stuff he does was super exciting back in the 90's. I had never seen anything like the matches he was having with Jerry Lynn. Unfortunately by the mid 2000's, the opening match at most Ring of Honor shows were running those spots. Not to mention that RVD himself has basically been doing all of the exact same spots since 1996. So I have grown increasingly tired of the whole act.

Sabu was a guy who I always enjoyed, but going back and paying attention to more than his crazy bumps, watching the character, the psychology, and the timing of the crazy spots, I have come to enjoy him far more. Sure he fucked up a ton of spots, but when your going balls to the wall doing crazy shit, that tends to happen. Also for a guy who is supposed to be crazy and could probably just shrug off any selling he needed to do, his selling is worlds better than RVD's.

Oh geez, wait until you get to 1999 or so. The RVD TV title defenses against random dudes are long and unbearable.

I really enjoyed the TV title defense RVD had against Mikey in early 2000, its on the ECW Unreleased Vol 2 set. Rob gave Mike quite a bit in that match, definitely followed a different formula than most RVD matches from that time.

Seems like a battle of evils and in which case I choose the lesser being Sabu. RVD was a guy I thought was the coolest when I was like 13. Not so much in 2013. My opinions vary on both guys. Sabu is a guy I find myself taking more of a liking to the more I watch random matches of his and RVD the opposite. Not saying I love Sabu, not even close, but I'm at least entertained a good majority of the time by his stuff. Even if the enjoyment comes via trainwreck.

I have a lot of time for both. From around 1998 - 2001 I thought they were the shizzle! Watching a lot of their stuff back, it's all very spotty, but great fun and fits the era well. Both could go in unfamiliar circumstances also. For instance Sabu vs Justin Credible at Anarchy Rulz 99 was one of my favourite matches of 99 and it wasn't your A typical Sabu offering. Likewise RVD vs Undertaker at Vengence 2001 wasn't your typical RVD, but it was great fun too.