Pro Wrestling Only

Gorgeous George

NintendoLogic

Gorgeous George is known mainly for his pioneering gimmick, but he really was a hell of a worker in the truest sense of the word. He could show up in WWE tomorrow and get over huge. Seriously, everybody drop what you're doing and check out these matches.

vs. Larry Moquin:

vs. Jesse James:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eK8mU6FUmnk

My favorite moment is probably the imported Florida air he brought to partake of between falls. That's something Damien Sandow should do, except maybe with air imported from Cambridge or something. With apologies to Lex Luger, George really was the total package.

In the late 90s, ESPN Classic used to re-run 50s and 60s wrestling at odd hours, which worked for me since odd hours was when I was up. Gorgeous George figured pretty prominently on those shows. My biggest impression of George was that, gimmick aside, he was an incredibly intense worker. He did a lot of stooging, but his offense was snug, well-executed, and dangerous looking. In particular, I vividly remember him hitting one of the nastiest piledrivers I've ever seen in a match I can otherwise no longer recall.

• 8 years later...

Gorgeous George vs Woody Strode, possibly 1952, in the Wilmington Bowl in South Los Angeles according to Steve Yohe.

Georgie set so many tropes. Here we see his valet disinfecting the ring, wearing a ravishing robe, bleached blond hair, and GG stalling and delaying.

No doubt that GG could get over in the WWE from the 60s until today.

Woody Strode, famous athlete + actor- is all muscle with no fat but doesn't really have convincing grappling submissions or counters is not calling the match (we can see GG whispering). Woody is very serious and focused.

GG's outrageous comical quotes and mannerisms get pops.

1st fall: Woody wins with a shoulder block (!).

2nd fall: GG wins with a toe hold off the ropes (!).

3rd fall: GG wins via some sort of wishbone submission (!).

GG attacked the legs the whole match to set it up. Woody just didn't have good enough offense or convincing counters to make it exciting. Lou Thesz would have never allowed GG to keep him in such weak looking leglocks or toe holds. If GG existed in later eras, I could imagine him being a bump machine like Pat Patterson and Adrian Adonis did when they copied his gimmick. However in this match, it was a battle of wits, GG didn't bump, and GG was shown to be more savvy. 

Not really recommended except for GG's entrance.