Pro Wrestling Only

Working with a language barrier

efrim

As I've learned a little more about calling spots in the ring lately, I've gotten curious about how a match between two wrestlers without a common language works on a technical level. Anybody have any insight here? Without the ability to call a high spot to your opponent, are such matches always partially pre-planned, or are there some tricks of the trade to convey more involved information to your opponent?

I'm hardly an authority, but in the case of people I know who've worked Japan it's predominantly pre-planned. Also, a large percentage of moves are known by their English names (dropkick, clothesline, etc), you hardly need call a basic suplex etc, and the company will also assign their most bilingual referee where possible. In the cases of guys who worked Japan for years like a Hansen or Doc, I'd be amazed if they didn't pick up some Japanese where and when necessary and also that the natives would become very familiar with the guys' move-sets (and vice versa). But, yeah, for a one-off fly-in it's planned-out in advance.

From my buddies who have worked overseas. If it is your first time over they will usually have a bilingual referee with you and you will go through everything. Just about every move is known by it's english name so calling a match isn't difficult,

It is important to know the basic match before hand because there isn't a whole lot of communication that you can do during the match.

The rest is just being able to work a match. knowing how to bump and when and being easy to work with.