Pro Wrestling Only

Squared Circle Gazette Radio #7 - The Underrated In Pro Wrestling

SCG Radio #7 takes your comments and discusses the Underrated in Professional Wrestling. A hell of a show with some good discussion on DDP, Ronnie Garvin, Mick Foley, Terry Taylor, Randy Orton's 2004 push, WWE music videos, Lex Luger and a hell of a lot more. Check it out, let me know what you think~!

http://squaredcirclegazette.podbean.com/mf/web/f8gusp/SCGRadio7-TheUnderratedInProWrestling.mp3

Started this and have some retort to the Garvin discussion. Firstly, I hate hearing the gate of Starrcade 87 being brought up. One, documentation I have seen shows 8,000 which is not that bad considering the capacity and market. Second, I don't understand how Garvin being used to give the belt back to Flair and everyone knew this can be equated to Garvin being responsible for the bad supposed house. If EVERYONE knew Flair was winning, wouldn't that be more reflected on him as a draw if it was indeed bad? Keep in mind this is coming as someone that thinks Flair is a top 3 GOAT and that the house being bad is an overblown talking point.

I don't think the title change match is ***** but I do have it as around ****1/2 and think it is one of the most underrated matches in wrestling history..

Rhyno as underrated is not a bad choice. He gets lost a bit in the shuffle coming in at the tail end of ECW and then being littered with numerous other people in the Invasion era.

Hardcore Holly is not someone who I would argue for really underrated but I don't think he was terrible doing the bully gimmick.

The argument for Luger that you put forth was really good. Again, his only time where he really looked like an idiot is from the Lex Express to WM 10 period.

I do think this shows have gotten progressively better each week and appreciate the time crunch you put on each show.

This was the first time I listened to one of your podcasts and it was entertaining. I must say that I am a huge mark for British accents!

I will echo what Chad and Parv have said about Ron Garvin. I would classify Garvin as one of Flair's best ever opponents. Not only did they have the two awesome title switch matches in 1987, they had several excellent TV matches over the years. Just my opinion, but the Starrcade 1987 contest is in my top 5 of favorite all time matches. The stiffness, the sounds, the realism. I hate it when people use the "everybody knew Flair would win" argument against this match. Like nobody knew Hogan would always win his matches in his ridiculous first title run? Did that hurt the gate or butyrate of those events?

I am glad that Lex Luger is starting to gain a little respect. I think his work in the 1988-1990 time period is vastly underrated. It is a crying shame that Dusty, Crockett, Ole, and even Flair continually screwed over Luger with the constant turns, silly finishes etc. I firmly believe that it should have been Luger going over Flair for the belt, not Sting. To me, Luger was better than Sting in every possible way (in ring, promos, etc). Not to mention, Luger had much better chemistry with Flair than Sting did.

Thank you both very much for the kind remarks on the show, glad you enjoyed it :-)

Luger being maligned has always bothered me a little, but moreso in recent years when you see so many cases of stop-start booking cutting guys balls off and the blame going to the promotion rather than the guy, whereas with Luger the blame somehow winds up on him. Let's see how over Batista is if he wins by countout at Mania 21 and does nothing for six months after. Heel Luger in 89 is very entertaining and genuine top heel material.

Quite interested by the Garvin/Mysterio comparison that we tossed up in passing. Guys who had a great following that people were genuinely behind, until they were put in a bad situation with the World Title, poorly booked runs, and their reputations were never the same.