Pro Wrestling Only

Good Will Wrestling: Wrestling Fans

Shoe, same progression. I think the show is interesting in that us "older fans" (not in age so much as having been around and evolved in different ways over time) would relate to this in a certain way - not necessarily the same way, but as a shared experience to some degree- while younger fans here, like anyone under 24, might take it as some historical experiential information and have a different perspective. If you are 24 this year, you were born in 1990, you were 11 when ECW and WCW shut down, and generally your fan experience on the internet (which was there practically your whole life) with wrestling and what we talked about might be somewhat different. That's sort of an interesting side story to me. Glad you enjoyed the discussion. You need to do another pod with Will, man!

Finally listened to this and Dylan talking about how every wrestling fan he knows is some variation of "smart" is fascinating.

I know several casual wrestling fans and only one of them is into the Internet/behind the scenes stuff. Just one. None of them would know who Dave Meltzer is. They all think Triple H's character is just that. If I use the term "smart fan," they think I'm talking about college professors or scientists who happen watch wrestling.

I've only been to one live WWE event over the last five years, but the chatter I heard around my section and at the bar before and after the show, nobody talked about any insidery stuff. It was all "I finally got to see Undertaker!" or "Did you see that (insert move). That had to actually hurt!"

I thought centering angles around the chatter of smart fans was stupid back when it started and I still think it's stupid today. But after hearing Dylan say everyone he knows is some variation of a smart fan, maybe I should re-consider that stance.

It's gotta be a regional thing......the Carolinas are more into wrestling than up here in Minnesota, so you get fans who dig deeper into it. Or maybe I just hang out with some really dumb people.