Pro Wrestling Only

Breaking down the European WON HOF Candidates

ohtani's jacket

In regards to the pantherwagner post I have to ask aloud why anyone should even care about the question if a wrestler could only be successful as a special attraction. Or would you use that argument against Andre the Giant? Man, I sound like a broken record :D

Who's making that argument?

Saint seems to mostly get support as a workrate candidate but I'd classify him as a special attraction worker. I'd expect a workrate candidate's merit to be somebody who you want to see wrestle every week.

I figured it may be a turnoff for some voters the way lucha can be. You're probably right about it being the reason people vote for him, but it will take more than their votes to get him into the hall I suspect.

I'm sure many people hate the style but I wonder why somebody who finds a style (British or lucha or whatever) being a turnoff would then vote in those regions.

I was thinking more along the lines of garnering support from outside the voter base, though come to think of it people are more likely to casually vote for Saint because they like his shtick. Probably not a good point on my part. I do think there's something missing from him in terms of being a workrate candidate that people from outside the region are drawn to or feel compelled to vote for, but it's probably something as simple as he didn't work North America or Japan in his prime.

Who's making that argument?

Saint seems to mostly get support as a workrate candidate but I'd classify him as a special attraction worker. I'd expect a workrate candidate's merit to be somebody who you want to see wrestle every week.

I merely meant that it could be construed in such a way. The thing we have to consider that with the current wrestling business many people will have to learn different concepts. So where older Euro/Lucha fans were used to have certain workers sparsely used as special attractions nowadays people always assume that you will see a popular wrestler each week on tv. I have always loved to learn new booking patterns (e.g. the 3 month MSG challenger cycle) and when you enter old Euro tournaments into a database you tend to notice fine nuances at times and when you get +300 shows in NYC for a calender year from the great Don Luce you learn of other nuances and you see a variety of measures that did or did not work out.

You can guess how disillusioned I am by the fact that the old lucha magazines mostly only have spot show previews and as a no habla espanol person I have little use for the arena reports from the usual big venues.

One thing that might be worthy to be discussed - could it help to put similar emphasis on UK title reigns like one might do with Mexican titles? I tend to believe that in a tournament setting it was more important to see who the tournament was built around but it seems rather plausible to use similar of not the same standards for Mexico and the UK