Pro Wrestling Only

Squared Circle Gazette Radio #23 - Wrestlers In The Wrong Time and Place

JaymeFuture

Based on the thread posted here and elsewhere, the podcast on this subject is now up, as we take your suggestions and discuss wrestlers throughout history that may have done better in a different time or place. Featuring speculative discussion on Superstar Billy Graham, Randy Savage, Brian Pillman, Raven, JYD, Jerry Lawler, Bobby Lashley, CM Punk, Goldberg, Cesaro, Jack Swagger, DDP and many many more. This show was a lot of fun, check it out and let me know what you think!

http://squaredcirclegazette.podbean.com/mf/play/fz2keq/SCGRadio23-WrestlersInTheWrongTimeAndPlace.mp3

As an additional note, we're doing a Christmas show this week, so if you're a regular listener and want to submit a random question or topic of discussion, email us at [email protected] and we'll be reading them on next week's show...

In a funny way I see Erick Rowan as a wrestler out of time. It strikes me that, limited as he might be, he's gradually grasping some fundamental mechanics that, was he say around in a more creatively vibrant territory back in the day (I'm weakest on U.S territory stuff, so people by all means correct me, its the impression I get) could have been harnessed into quite an effective feral heel.

You could argue Don Fuji in Dragon Gate is marvelously, perfectly out of time, but that's more intentional.

A guy like Rowan probably would have more protected then, agreed. All you have to do is look around and even in an 84 Mid South you've got a guy like Masao Ito that they're be book to their strengths and not overexpose them too much. More TV in the modern era means you have to have less holes in your game just because it's easier to get caught out...