Pro Wrestling Only

Mile Zrno

ohtani's jacket

Mile Zrno vs. Steve Wright (Graz 1980)

This had poor VQ but it was fascinating to watch because it was a young Zrno, who we've really only seen in Japan, against a Steve Wright who wasn't far removed from his World of Sport days. It was interesting to see them do some of the spots that crop up in later German/Austrian matches (staples, I suppose), and it was also apparent that short, inconsequential bouts were the norm. But it has nice exchanges, and it's a chance to see Zrno and Wright in their physical prime.

Mile Zrno vs. Charley Verhulst (Graz,12/7/1980)

This is delightful while it lasts, but it's too short. I would have liked a fleshed out 25 minute match between these two. They put on a wonderful exhibition of European style wrestling, however. 

Mile Zrno vs. Takayuki Iizuka (Bremen '91)

This was pretty good considering Iizuka was a fish out of water and didn't know how to work the European style. Zrno was such a beautiful wrestler. He never ceases to amaze me. Some of the stuff he did in this match was gorgeous. This was actually quite testy with a lot of shoving and glaring. I'd love to see a return bout between these two. 

• 2 weeks later...

Fit Finlay & Takayuki Iizuka vs. Mile Zrno & Prince Zefy (Hannover '91)

Man, Iizuka is a vicious prick in this. You'd have to be to foot it with Finlay, but I'm impressed with this Catch work of his. We get more Iizuka vs. Zrno, which is quickly becoming one of my favorite match ups of the early 90s era. But mostly the bout is about Finlay and Iizuka beating on Zefy. Zefy makes a great target for abuse, and I could happily watch this match up in every town. Finlay gets DQ'ed in the most awesome fashion. Zefy is celebrating a fall when Finlay lifts him from behind and dumps his crotch on the ropes. Someone needs to make a GIF of it 'cos It's brilliant. 

• 2 years later...

Mile Zrno & Charly Verhulst vs. Ashura Hara & Jiro Inazuma (Gerry Morrow) IWE 5/9/1979

I'm a little upset that Jetlag didn't tell me he uploaded a Zrno vs Hara tag, and it has Charly Verhulst to boot! Zrno vs. Hara is one of the greatest match-ups in pro-wrestling history. I wish they had wrestled as many times as Flair and Steamboat. Verhulst was a better world traveler than the likes of Steve Wright, and Hara should be remembered as one of the great juniors. That is all.