Pro Wrestling Only

[2018-08-01-NJPW-G1 Climax 28] Zack Sabre Jr vs Kenny Omega

nivvad

A pretty great dream match that delivered with the amount of time they were given. I don't think this was the best possible match these two greats could pull off, but you could easily tell the grand story both were trying to tell. Kenny tried the whole match to outpower Zack, but unfortunately the latter had a counter for Kenny at almost every turn. I liked Kenny's selling in the first half of the match, but he kind of forgot about it towards the end. The roll up is a surprise yet refreshing for an Omega match, and it keeps the door open for a future rematch between these two, ****1/4.

This was a terrific match, one of the best in the tournament. They came up with all kinds of creative ways to play on the style contrast, and I actually liked the fact that not every exchange looked 100-percent smooth. It was cool, almost Fujiwaraesque, how Zack made catching Kenny's knees a part of his  strategy. I bought the possibility of either man winning, and I loved the final pin coming off a scrambling roll-up instead of the One-Winged Angel. I hope this was the first  of many match-ups.