Pro Wrestling Only

Your random wrestling question of the day

Marty

I was watching SummerSlam 2000 the other day, which of course is arguably most famous for the three-way main event having a blown table spot involving Triple H and Kurt Angle (the one where HHH attempts a pedigree on the Spanish table on Angle, and the table collapses under itself).

My question is: How much of Angle's injury and the stuff afterwards was a work? Obviously, the table collapsing wasn't planned, but was Angle legit hurt at all? And was the plan to take Angle out of the match anyway (for whatever bizarre reason) and have Stephanie coax Angle back into the match to further the angle?

Just some random shit I'm curious about.

Guest Hunter's Torn Quad

Angle was legit knocked out for a few minutes from that bump, and suffered a concussion. Angle was always going to be taken out of the match at that point, so as to save giving away too much of Angle v Hunter at that point, but the injury turned into a legit one instead of a worked one. When Angle got taken to the back, Hunter was meant to go and shove Angle off the stretcher and attack him some more, but when he and Rock saw Angle was injured for real, they cut that part out and just went back to wrestling each other.

If I'm not mistaken (and I don't think I am since they show it as part of that "Don't Try This At Home" thing on every DVD), when the table broke Angle's head bounced off the floor with most of HHH's weight behind it since he was in position for the pedigree. You can see HHH try to let go once he felt the table give and he had a "oh shit" look on his face as they fell.

Guest Cam Chaos

I believe the table was meant to collapse from a Pedigree to Angle, however it gave way a couple of seconds too soon so Angle was not protected enough and got legit concussed rather KO'd for the storyline purposes.