Pro Wrestling Only

[2000-02-12-WWA Texas] Action Jackson vs Bobo

GSR

Action Jackson is the WWA World Heavyweight champion, while Bobo is a member of a group called the IWO, one of the lowest rent NWO rip offs I’ve seen.  Big running boot to the face by Jackson, who I thought had alopecia but has in fact just got ‘#1’ shaved into his head.  The commentators make mention of Iceman Parsons in this promotion and it would’ve been cool to see him in 2000.  Big splash for our first two count of the match.  Jackson works on Bobo’s arm and after a dropkick he rolls under the bottom rope to the floor for a chat with his second.  The figure four is reversed, reversed, reversed and reversed until they’re in the ropes and the official breaks the hold.  Bobo takes advantage of the damage to Jackson’s leg during the reversal, digging an elbow into the knee and kicking away at his hamstring.  Jackson powers out of the Boston crab, but Bobo is back stomping that knee.  He starts to fire back and has completely forgotten about selling that leg.  Single leg crab by Jackson.  Bodyslam, however he misses a fist drop, punching the mat.  ‘Avalanche splash’ in the corner leading to one of the commentators yelling out “Who’s your daddy!”.  Bobo rakes Jackson across the eyes but he then telegraphs a backdrop as the champion small packages him to retain the gold.  The IWO (including Iceman Parsons) jump Jackson after the match and get in a few licks until Al Jackson and some reinforcements run them off.

There is a definite sense of the 1980s when it comes to WWA Texas, almost as if the promotion is a throwback to that era.  Then again, when the likes of Iceman Parsons, Johnny Mantell, Action Jackson who’re all from that period are your company staples, I suppose you should expect it.  Basic stuff (I can’t imagine too many federations where the World champion retains his title with a small package), but nowhere near as bad I thought going in and the sparse looking crowd makes some good noise so are clearly into what they’re seeing.  Commentary is the pits mind.