Pro Wrestling Only

[2001-02-05-WCW-Nitro] Scott Steiner vs Jung Dragons & Jamie Noble & Evan Karagias (Handicap)

GSR

Nitro begins with Ric Flair and his bodyguard, Road Warrior Animal, already in the ring whilst Kevin Nash is also out in the aisle.  On being called a “jackass” Flair tells him that if you think I’m a jackass, come say it to my face.  As Nash starts walking closer to the ring he sends out Animal to stop him.  Nash reminds him that Flair invited him so he better walk away.  He doesn’t, swings at ‘Big Sexy’ who blocks and throws him into the metal barricade.  Flair is funny, yelling at the laid out Animal to get up and get in here as Nash steps into the ring.  ‘Killer’ grabs Flair by the throat and tells him he’s tired of him (Flair) calling the shots, from now on he’s (Nash) calling them.  A limo is seen pulling up, Mike Sanders stooging to Scott Steiner and co who are in it that Nash has Ric Flair in the ring right now.  Nash strips Flair to his underwear, an annual event in it’s own right, and he’s about to powerbomb him when the sirens go off signalling the arrival of Steiner and the cavalry.   ‘Big Sexy’ has now got his foot on Flair’s throat again, warning them all to stay back or he’ll break his neck.  He says that he’s got some demands that need negotiating and has bought a negotiator with him.  It’s Commissioner Cat!  Jeff Jarrett, Buff Bagwell, Steiner and the rest block the aisle but he comes from the other side of the arena.  Cat points at Flair and wonders if that is anyway for Nash to treats his grandpa?  He announces that he’s in charge tonight although wants to check with ‘the Boss’ that that’s okay.  Flair, who is having his neck twisted by Nash’s vice like grip, is in no position to argue and agrees.  Unlike Flair, who likes to protect “Big Poppa Dump” he’s going to make him work; not once, not twice, but because he’s a three time karate champion, three times.  The first match is Steiner versus four fast paced Cruiserweights (I’m getting a horrible sense of déjà vu again!) who are there to blow him up, then he’ll take on a man who hates him every bit as much as Kevin Nash does, Diamond Dallas Page, before finally, in the main event, he’ll be defending the World title against Kevin Nash.  Cat isn’t finished as there are a couple of additional stipulations, if Steiner loses Ric Flair must resign and in addition, even though he knows Nash could win on his won, he’s allowing him to choose a mystery partner of his choice.  The crowd thinks this is the return of Goldberg, I think they’re going to be disappointed.  The Commissioner does run all that by Flair but he’s still in no position to turn him down.

On returning from a commercial Flair is being helped from the ring by his cohorts while Steiner removes his shirt ready for his first match.  Note, Steiner’s in dress clothes not wrestling gear.  The cruiserweights are Jung Dragons, Kaz Hayashi & Yang, Jamie Noble and Evan Karagias.  I’m getting even more feelings of déjà vu.  After despatching the Dragons, Steiner with a huge double underhook on Noble and a tilt-a-whirl slam on Evan.  I know he does push ups every match, but doing them here it just doesn’t sit right with me.  Anyway a Yang springboard legdrop to the back while he’s doing them may make him think twice.  Double suplex.  The Dragons with top rope splashes from opposite corners, quadruple pin but Steiner kicks them off.  Here we go!  Double Steinerline.  He launches Karagias overhead and crotches Yang upstairs as in super quick time all four of his opponents are now down.  Kaz gets dumped at ringside, Noble and Karagias following suit, each military pressed and thrown at the previous man.  Middle rope T-bone suplex on Yang.  Steiner stops Scott Armstrong’s count at two, which Schiavone thinks isn’t the wisest as the longer he’s out there the more it will take out of him.  T-bones for Noble and Evan, belly to belly on Kaz.  Scotty finally stacks the three on top of one another for a triple Recliner which gets him the win.

I knew it was coming but I’m still speechless and this was worse than Animal squashing Kidman & Rey a week ago.  The company takes one step forward with their treatment of the Cruiserweights and then takes four steps back.