Pro Wrestling Only

[2001-02-24-NWA Wildside-TV] Christian York & Joey Matthews vs Bad Attitude (Rick Michaels & David Young)

GSR

Bad Attitude are out to the Midnight Express’ music, I can’t remember if that is a new addition or whether they were using it last year too.  Rick Michaels promises that tonight they’re walking out of here with the NWA World tag team titles before going on to face Total Destruction in a cage match at Hardcore Hell.  I hope we’ve got that match.  This is York & Matthews’ debut at the NCW arena, so worth noting again that this is for the NWA World, not NWA Wildside tag team titles.  Nigh on the first thing we get is a criss cross spot, Michaels blowing himself up as he continues to run the ropes long after Matthews has stopped.  Dan ‘the Dragon’ Wilson is comparing Bad Attitude with both the Minnesota Wrecking Crew and the Midnight Express.  Shine for the champions pulling out a bunch of double teams and ending with stereo suicide dives.  Luckily we caught that as it was just in time before we went to a commercial.  We return to find Bad Attitude have been dumped into the front row.  Back inside York with a front superplex on Matthews, Joey landing on Michaels, he then comes off the turnbuckles himself with a senton.  Michaels snatches Matthews on the leapfrog and gives him a fireman’s carry slam. Young with a big powerslam.  Now it’s Bad Attitude with the double teams before they look to slow things down.  They telegraph the double backdrop and Matthews hits a double DDT, although he’s unable to make the tag.  He gets whipped from pillar to post until catching Michaels with a neckbreaker.  The ref lets a Young low blow go, he’s then low blowed himself as he leaps from the middle with a double axe handle.  Hot tag and York opens up.  Superkicks misses by a yard but is still sold.  Springboard back elbow as we go to another break.  Literally as soon as we return Michaels lands a frog splash and we have new NWA World tag team champions.  Like WHAT HAPPENED?  From the talk it sounds like the ref got knocked out as well as Bill Behrens restarting the match, all during the commercial.

I’ve said previously how multiple adverts during a Wildside match can ruin the flow, never was that more in case than here with how quickly the match ended after one.  Even moreso with how York & Matthews were seemingly in control when we left.  Surely the tapes were running during the break, so show us what led to things ending the way they did?  No issues with the work from the teams and I much preferred this to the Jr. match from the same show, but a sour note to end on.