Pro Wrestling Only

[2001-05-30-UPW-Power Play] Super Dragon vs Juventud Guerrera

GSR

This dick on commentary is calling Super Dragon a Power Ranger.  He’s not letting Juvi get off lightly, saying how he could have a great career; he just needs to stay out of Australia.  That’s probably so inside though that the vast majority of folk watching have no idea what he’s talking about.  Juvi gets the better of a shoulder tackle and then takes Dragon down with a spinning heel kick.  Quick legdrop for a two count.  A Dragon koppu kick barely connects but Juvi still takes the planned spill through the ropes to the outside.  The one commentator even calls it a “whiff”, while the other guy claims that Dragon’s shoe laces caught Juvi!  A lightning fast tope con hilo is practically missed by the camera, although the crowd popped big for it.  Back inside, Juvi rolls out the way of the springboard crossbody.  Missile dropkick followed by a powerbomb.  The Irish whip is reversed, Dragon then hooks Juvi and drives him into the mat.  There’s no-one home on the Phoenix splash and Juvi hits his Driver for the win.

The commentary sucks with neither man really showing Dragon any respect whatsoever, constantly making fun of both his outfit and his name (calling him things like Stupid Dragon etc.).  The match itself was disappointing, too short (I can’t believe I’m complaining about a Dragon match being too short!) and they didn’t seem to work well together.  I think this was the first time we’ve seen Dragon away from the comfort zone of his regular Revolution Pro opponents, as even when he would wrestle for XPW it would be against someone like Rising Son, and based on this outing I think he needs to branch out more.