Pro Wrestling Only

[2002-02-15-CMLL] Shocker vs Tarzan Boy

ohtani's jacket

This was a title match for Shocker's World Light Heavyweight Championship, but it was far from classic. In fact, it was pretty bad. The match was an excuse to have Tarzan Boy attack his second, Mascara Magica. Tarzan Boy had been talking shit about Mascara Magica for a while and making it clear that he didn't think Magica belonged in Los Guerreros del Infierno. The finish was the worst I've seen in a title match, but it's not as though it spoiled anything. The entire match was sloppy and derivative. I questioned why this match wasn't headlining the March pay-per-view, but I'm struggling to see how they could have delivered anything better on pay-per-view. I guess I was hoping these Shocker vs. Tarzan Boy matches would be sneakily good like the Wagner/Atlantis matches from the year before, but no dice. Apparently, they had a rematch the following week, but the match records are unclear. In any event, we don't have it on tape, which may be a blessing if it actually took place.