Pro Wrestling Only

[2002-03-22-CMLL] Zumbido & Safari & Hombre Sin Nombre & Halloween & Volador Jr & Damian 666 & Negro Casas & El Hijo del Santo vs Felino & Olimpico & Tony Rivera & Nicho el Millonario & Mascara Magica & Satanico & Averno & Mephisto

ohtani's jacket

This was a Grand Prix Torneo Cibernetico. Not the greatest cibernetico, but even an average cibernetico is better than most of the matches they show. They cut straight to the elimination portion where we discover that the Tijuana boys are still around. Remember when they were making waves? The way wrestlers come and go in CMLL is really frustrating. You think they're getting a push, and there'll be a blowoff down the line, then they up and disappear. Speaking of which, Santo is back for this match. Despite my bitching, I was curious to see who would win and who would make an impression. Satanico looked great again. I guess I was wrong about the cage match being his swan song. He's looked fantastic in 2002 every time he's made tape. Zumbido and Felino picked up where they left off in that cool trios match from the week before. Casas had a great exchange with Satanico, but he's having another one of those years where they have nothing for him. I'm pretty sure he'll only be relevant if Santo sticks around. More ammunition against the "Casas was best in the world for every year of his career" crowd. I sort of lost interest in this after Satanico was eliminated. The final pairing was Santo vs. Mascara Magica. Santo going the distance was no surprise, but I guess they saw something in Mascara Magica that I don't as he scored a huge upset victory. Yeeeah, I dunno. If you're gonna pay Santo to put someone over, why not the guys you've been trying to push like Shocker or Black Warrior? I like the fact that midcarders can win ciberneticos. We all remember how great it was when Felino won in '97. But Magica? I'm not convinced.