Pro Wrestling Only

[2002-06-02-GAEA] Meiko Satomura vs Chikayo Nagashima

ohtani's jacket

This was a good match, but I found the result perplexing. Satomura looked extremely confident at the beginning of the bout and seemed to have grown into her role as the ace of the promotion and the leader of the next generation. She had dropped all of the 'young girl' selling and mannerisms that she sometimes prone to overdoing in matches against the veteran workers, and was working towards a more shoot style oriented moveset similar to when Chigusa came of age as a singles worker. Nagashima refused to be intimidated by the champ and took the match to her from the get-go. The early going was a brawl. There was a bit of crowd walking, but when they got back into the ring, the action was unrelenting. Satomura unleashed some awesome looking strikes on Nagashima, but she wasn't at that selfish veteran level where she refused to let anybody fight through her offense and land a few knockout blows. Nagashima is at heart a Toyota type, but she never backed down from an opponent and had a ton of fighting spirit. These two had been wrestling each other since GAEA began and both of them wanted the ultimate prize. The problem I had with the result wasn't that Nagashima stripped Satomura of the title. It's not like Nagashima wasn't a good worker. I like her a lot. The problem I had with the result was that after Satomura struggling for so long to beat Aja, and then finally taking the title from her, to have her drop it to Nagashima in a halfway decent match, felt like it took all of the steam out of Satomura's transformation into the GAEA ace. She fought so hard to overcome the challenges she faced then she drops the the title to her peer in pretty much no time at all. Not the call I would have made. Sorry, Nagashima.