Pro Wrestling Only
Sign in to follow this  
Tenese Sarwieh

[2021-05-04-NJPW-Wrestling Dontaku Night Two] Will Ospreay vs Shingo Takagi

Will Ospreay defends the IWGP World Heavyweight Title

Forty-four minutes and Fifty-Three seconds with two of the best in the world currently displaying their unavailable excellent chemistry. This lived up to their epic BOSJ final and then some. Crazy spots, beautiful counters, and callbacks with maneuvers from past opponents were the components to make this amazing masterpiece of a MOTYC. 

Will Ospreay vs Shingo Takagi - 5/4/21 - IWGP World Heavyweight Championship

There was a lot of talk about this match online which raised my interest, normally I don't watch current NJPW anymore, in fact, I don't watch any wrestling unless there's something really good. I debated whether I should watch this or not. 44 or 45 minutes is not something that is easy to watch, especially when the crowd is very limited on the noise they can make. I enjoyed their BOSJ match, but I did not like their G1 and New Japan Cup Match. I decided to throw it up on Saturday morning, because what could go wrong? 

This was actually 1000 percent better than I expected. They started off with their usual dancing thing at the beginning. It is what it is I guess. I think that people are way too harsh on Ospreay's in-ring ability. When he's good, he's really good. I dug his heel stuff in the match. No ref bumps or interference, it's refreshing for a change. My favorite spot in the match is where Ospreay hangs Shingo upside down and does his dragon pose thing HAHA. Ospreay does some arm work which surprisingly Shingo sells for the rest of the match, even during the "fighting spirit" spots. The table spot looks insane even though it was a bit contrived. Ospreay sells this like a GOAT, he is just dead. Shingo gets some near falls and the finishing stretch is actually bearable and great. There were some creative stuff and the headbutts looked nasty too. I can see the Match of the Year talk for this one, and I don't disagree with anyone calling this a great match, because that's what it was. This is my MOTY up to this point. Definitely way better than expected. Easy 45 minutes. ****1/2