Pro Wrestling Only

[2002-09-13-CMLL] Rey Bucanero & Ultimo Guerrero vs Shocker & Vampiro Canadiense

ohtani's jacket

This was really good. I could see an argument for it being too short, but even at this length it seemed that Vampiro was fairly gassed. The key to me was you're running your Anniversary Show in the same building you use every week so how do you make the bout different from your weekly main events? I thought they did a really good job of making this feel like a spectacle. Ultimo & Rey deserve a ton of credit for making the CMLL tag belts seem like major titles. That's hard to do in a regular wrestling promotion let alone a lucha promotion. And then they laid out the match in a way that was different from the run-of-the-mill weekly main event. The primera caida seemed like it would be a typical rudo-won fall, but instead they pulled a double swerve that felt completely organic and not at all scripted. It was actually important in the grand scheme of things too as it took the wind out of the tecnico's sails and made them seem disconnected and disheartened. They made a comeback, of course, but it felt like they were wrestling as individuals and not a team. Vampiro threw Bucanero around like a rag doll to win the second fall and the doctor seemed concerned about Rey. I don't know if that was a work to add some drama to the bout, but you basically had Vampiro blown up, Bucanero shaking off the cobwebs, and a shit ton of drama heading into the deciding fall. The tercera was fascinating because it was where GdI's teamwork shone through, and when that teamwork proved superior, the rudo fans at ringside with the cowbells knew they were going over. GdI had another great celebration, and Vampiro gave Ultimo a handshake and a hug. I don't know if he was supposed to do that because it looked like it took Ultimo by surprise, and as great as their teamwork was, they still cheated in the primera caida, but it added the spectacle. If anyone says this was a disappointment because it was rushed, or the pacing felt off, my argument would be that it could've been a hell of a lot worse.