Pro Wrestling Only

[1993-01-24 WWF Royal Rumble] Bret Hart vs Razor Ramon

Superstar Sleeze

WWF World Heavyweight Champion Bret Hart vs Razor Ramon - WWF Royal Rumble 1993

I am surprised no one had made a thread for this. Unique match. Razor was so strongly pushed out the gate but it was the Kid angle that got him over forever. It is weird what gets people over and doesn’t. Bret’s first reign feels so random and Shawn & Razor are interesting challengers.

Textbook Bret Hart match which I probably underrate. My issue with textbook Bret Hart is that there is not much struggle within a segment. They have very logical matches and they are very easy to remember. Slugfest to start which looked great both men have great punches. Razor knees the top turnbuckle. Bret works the leg pugnaciously. Bret is an all-time great grinder. He is one of the few that can make heel in peril work on top. Bret takes his sick sick sliding abdomen steel post shot. Hall works the back with laser focus. Great use of the sack of shit. Bret uses a back drop over the top and suicide dive to turn the tide. Bret has a top five suicide dive! Five moves of Doom. There is a little struggle with Hall shoving Bret off on the ten count punches, tip of the cap. Sharpshooter attempt but Razor yanks the ref into it. The finish run is a little clunky. I liked Bret’s reversal of the Super Back Suplex into his own. That should have led to the Sharpshooter finish. Bret overthought it with a backslide, an overly complicated roll up into the Sharpshooter. This was my very long way to say because Bret matches are so logical they are easy to follow and remember. That was a super easy match to recap. It feels logically good to watch them BUT textbook Bret doesn’t move me. High end Bret doesn’t. It feels sterile, mechanical and safe. I like organic, guttural and wild. Textbook Bret is in the very good camp but not great. Hall was very good in this but this was definitely a Bret match. I would have liked to see Hall try to do heat segments more like this. ***1/2