Pro Wrestling Only

[1994-12-27 WCW Starrcade] Sting vs Avalanche

Superstar Sleeze

Sting vs Avalanche - WCW Starrcade 1994

Why the hell am is the MartMan watching this? I got a new project in mind and this fall under that umbrella. Earthquake/Avalanche is a bit of a darling but I dont see it. I thought this match is a feather in Sting's cap more than anything else. A little background, Sting was reduced to Hulk Hogan's running buddy once Hogan came in and really was directionless for four months. That was until the Faces of Fear (Beefcake, Earthquake, and Kevin Sullivan) became a thing at Halloween Havoc. With Hogan having multiple enemies, Sting finally had a dance partner that was of course until the Macho Man debuted on this show making Sting now third banana to the Macho Man. 

This is a poor man's Sting vs Vader, but a poor man's Sting vs Vader is better than most matches so I will take what I can get. I really thought Sting sold and timed his hope spots well in this match. He had to supply the energy. Even though, he worked the majority of the match underneath, he never died. The shine was short but sweet. I really liked the Clash of the Titans bullshit at the beginning with all the grandstanding and hot dogging. Sting's main focus was trying to make in-roads by kicking the legs of Earthquake. Avalanche was the weak link as he did not have the next level offense to make this exciting on offense even though I was digging the Stinger's performance. Sting going for the Sleeper and really working was great. The bodyslam attempt got a good reaction. The finish was the best part with Avalanche powerslam and he attempts the Earthquake Splash only for Stinger pop up and whip the crowd into a frenzy. Clothesline! BODYSLAM FOR THE PAYOFF AND POP! Stinger Splash! The ref got bumped in all of this (I watched this last night and am going off memory). Kevin Sullivan gets involved and they do the spot from the Clash where Avalanche catches Sullivan and runs him into Sting. This triggers the DQ. Avalanche hits the Earthquake Splash to get heat for the rematch and Hogan saves with the chair. Every other reviewer buries this match, but this is definitely on the side of being pretty good. Very good Sting performance carries the day. ***