Pro Wrestling Only

[2003-02-14-CMLL] Shocker vs Ultimo Guerrero

ohtani's jacket

This wasn't quite as red hot as their mano a mano the week before, but I thought the body of the match was excellent and pretty much the epitome of what a modern title match could be. It was shorter than old-school title matches. You didn't get a long primera caida with back and forth matwork, but the work was sharp, focused, and employed good psychology. These two were natural rivals and had great chemistry. Their era of CMLL didn't last that long, but it felt like the future at the time. I was in two minds about the finish here. Shocker saved face by getting the phantom 1-2-3, and Ultimo stayed strong by going over clean, but I don't think anyone was satisfied by the outcome. I think we were all looking forward to an epic tercera caida. Instead, we got a segue for Shocker to move onto his next big program against Vampiro. It ended up being a nice bookend to the mano a mano but on paper it was shaping up to be a MOTYC. Worth watching for the match up; just don't set your hopes too high.