Pro Wrestling Only

[2022-06-08-AEW-Dynamite] Jon Moxley vs Kyle O'Reilly

corwo

Unlike O'Reilly's recent match against a beloved member of the AEW roster, this was intense, focused, and violent. Kyle tends to lean into his worst habits, with over-the-top selling and convoluted spots that rarely land. But with Mox there to control the reins, his strengths are highlighted. His mat work is snug, and he turns up the aggression when it comes to his striking.

Kyle shoots for the leg after a brief feeling-out process and almost nicks the win with an armbar. Mox busts out a Cornish Hipe, popping both myself and William Regal on commentary. Mox grounds O'Reilly, twisting the digits and stomping away at Kyle as he's on the mat. Unfazed by O'Reilly's strikes, Mox allows him to land a few blows, and starts bleeding from the mouth. Kyle traps Mox's toe under the bottom rope and hits a diving knee drop off the top rope. I like how Mox struggled to get out of the ropes as Kyle climbed up to the top. So often, you see wrestlers hang around waiting to get hit with a move.

O'Reilly gradually chips away at the leg of Moxley, forcing our injured hero to deck Kyle with punches. O'Reilly blasts Mox with a dropkick on the outside, but allows him the time to get back into the ring. The lowlight of the match is undoubtedly O'Reilly's mounted open-hand strikes, which don't look great, as they lack the impact of some of his meatier elbow strikes and slaps later on. Kyle's leg work is ferocious, as he drapes Mox across the apron, alternating between forearms to the face and driving Mox's bad wheel into the mat. Mox's selling is subtle but poignant. Ever the opportunist, Mox hits the ropes when Kyle goes to the top again, allowing him a bit of respite. Rather than following up on a superplex, Mox takes the time to sell his arm, which got trapped underneath O'Reilly on the way down.

Kyle goes back to the forearms, but Mox fires back with wicked headbutts. A chickenwing forces Kyle to bite the ropes to escape, and Mox decides to kick the ropes. Both scramble for submissions until Kyle eventually gets the better of an exchange with a knee. Even O'Reilly, whose selling I find overindulgent at the best of times, gave the sense that he was exhausted and any move could end the match. Mox stuffs O'Reilly with a Piledriver, but it's only enough for two. A hockey fight breaks out, and O'Reilly nails the Ax and Smash, then a Saito suplex, but Mox pops back up. No-selling is supposed to feel defiant, and this moment felt like Mox not giving Kyle the satisfaction of having his number, showing his toughness and resilience. Moxley put away O'Reilly with a Paradigm Shift in a thrilling main event.

As I mentioned, not all of the striking landed, with some of Kyle's mounted punches feeling superfluous. But when everything else was as airtight and gruesome as it was, it's hard not to enjoy the match. The best showing I can recall from O'Reilly in some time, and another notch in Moxley's belt.