Pro Wrestling Only

[2003-04-04-CMLL] Rey Bucanero & Ultimo Guerrero & Universo 2000 vs Atlantis & Mr Niebla & Hijo de Lizmark

ohtani's jacket

This was a pretty decent trios considering they cobbled it together for Shocker/Vampiro undercard. Much better than the Atlantis vs. Wagner matches from the past few weeks. Never underestimate how good Ultimo Guerrero and Rey Bucanero are at delivering rudo beatdowns. When was the last time Lizmark Jr was this interesting? Has he ever been this interesting? I'm starting to think Rey Bucanero is some kind of genius. First Vampiro, now Lizmark Jr. Of course, Lizmark almost ruins it when he makes his comeback, but the seeds for another miracle job are there. They tease Atlantis vs. Ultimo here but don't deliver. That's cruel. A large part of the focus is on Niebla vs. Universo. Niebla is an interesting dude. At one point, he seemed inextricably linked to Shocker, but at this stage, their career trajectories couldn't be further apart. When he's on, he can be pretty entertaining and adds some much needed starch to the tecnico side, but you have to think that given his size, it's a disappointment to the promoters that he isn't a bigger deal. Match ends abruptly when Atlantis pulls off Universo's mask. That was deflating. I was enjoying the bout, and was in no mood for it to end so suddenly. It wasn't until the replays that I realized Universo pulled off Niebla's mask first. Still, a crappy finish. Fortunately, it looks like we have a return match leading to a Niebla/Universo title match. I can never understand why they do mask pulling/ripping in the lead up to a title match, but such are the vagaries of lucha libre.