Pro Wrestling Only

[2003-08-24-WWE-SummerSlam] Eddie Guerrero vs Chris Benoit vs Tajiri vs Rhyno

ohtani's jacket

Eddie Guerrero defends the WWE United States Heavyweight Title

I used to hate it when they'd announce a Triple Threat or Fatal Fourway match for a PPV, and I think it's worse when midcarders are involved. Call me old-fashioned, but shouldn't PPV matches be better than the matches you see on television? I know folks in 2003 weren't waiting three months to see these guys square off, but give us SOMETHING to distinguish it from a Smackdown match. Eddie's performance was disappointing. The Latino Heat stuff really undercuts his ringwork at times. Benoit worked his tail off. As usual, no-one bothered to tell him the match he was in was fucking useless and that he shouldn't work so hard. I would have preferred any variation of a singles match to this overbooked mess, but the match up that caught my eye was Benoit vs. Tajiri. It's a shame those two only ever met in a short RAW match. Eddie vs. Tajiri would have made sense too. That was a house show match up at the time, but of course they had to add all the bells and whistles for the cameras.