Pro Wrestling Only

[2003-05-30-CMLL] Ultimo Guerrero & Rey Bucanero vs Vampiro Canadiense & Hijo de Lizmark

ohtani's jacket

Fancy entrance for the champs. They're decked out in full Aztec warrior headdresses. Vampiro and Lizmark make a regular entrance. The Mega Powers combine! There was a time when you wouldn't have been able to pay me to watch this match; now, I'm eagerly anticipating it. The first fall is rubbish. The second fall is a quick equalizer. The third fall is where the action is. They do a good job of making this seem like an important title fight. For all its flaws, the modern lucha style is still good at delivering a dramatic third fall. The match swings back and forth, and there are some exciting nearfalls. Arena Mexico is rocking as it usually does for Vampiro fights. There's a guy in a huge bear costume. It's amazing how Lizmark can disappear in a match. It happens all the time in trios matches. There will be these long stretches during a trios match where he's off camera. It's almost like he's hiding from the camera. It's not that he doesn't do anything. He hits some big moves. He just has the magnetism and charisma of a replacement level player. The match comes down to Vampiro vs. Ultimo, which is fitting, and the matchup everyone wants to see. Vampiro is sucking in the big ones, and I don't think it's because he's a great seller. I was unashamedly into this. I thought for all money that Ultimo was gonna cheat, but the bugger went over clean. Vampiro did a nice job of selling it afterward. The match ended up being pretty good. On paper, it looked like it needed to be an all-time great carry job to be anything special, but Rey and Ultimo didn't need to go the extra distance. It all kind of fell into place with the booking, and the fans were happy to get the Ultimo vs. Vampiro showdown. Good stuff.