Pro Wrestling Only

[2004-04-18-WWE-Backlash] Shawn Michaels vs Chris Benoit vs Triple H

ohtani's jacket

I should mention out of the gate that because this match is held in Benoit's hometown of Edmonton that there are a number of uncomfortable shots of Benoit's wife and son at ringside. The match is decent considering it's a rehash of the WrestleMania main event. I've got to believe that there were Benoit fans who were afraid that the WWE was going to have him job the title straight back to Triple H, and that they'd have the audacity to do it in his hometown. In fact, I'm pretty sure the WWE played that shit up as much as they could. There was a Montreal spot that came a bit too early in the match, but had the crowd booing Michaels the rest of the way and chanting "You screwed Bret!" at him. In the end, the WWE did the right thing, which was a surprise. I didn't know the result of the match and wasn't sure whether Benoit would drop the belt or not, so I was as pleasantly surprised as you can be by Benoit going over.