Pro Wrestling Only

[2004-05-02-LLA] Averno & Mephisto & Charles Lucero vs Blue Panther & Angel Azteca & Astuto

ohtani's jacket

When I saw this match listing, my eyes lit up thinking we'd get Charlie Lucero vs Blue Panther exchanges, but Panther actually squared off with Averno in the opening caida. It was the type of old-school primera caida exchange that we've barely seen in 2004, and pretty cool. You could tell that Averno was a guy on the rise, much like Ultimo had been about five years earlier. When Lucero and Panther finally did square off, Lucero launched an all out attack on him. Now, usually I'd bitch and moan about how they were doing mask ripping instead of mat wrestling, and have a bit of a cry, but I gotta tell you, Lucero's attack on Panther was fucking awesome. It was more of an assault than an attack. I didn't know Charlie had it in him. I swear I haven't been this excited watching a rudo beat up a tecnico since the days of grainy VHS footage. I also wanna add that this was the first time I've seen Azteca wrestle without a mask, which was really weird and kind of blew my mind a bit considering I still see him as the heir apparent to Atlantis and Lizmark in my mind's eye.