Pro Wrestling Only

[2014-07-06-Pro Wrestling Wallabee] Classic Kid vs. Keita Yano

Ma Stump Puller

This is the second match between the two, I'd suggest watching the first one for context

Keita was really like "let me wrestle a classic NWA-style Broadway on some mats in front of 25 people" and no one could stop him. I mean for one, this is a 61 minute match legit, no gimmicks included, every bit shown and recorded, two out of three falls for the win. It's also done in complete and utter silence for most of the duration, so that's doubly weird. However.....I didn't think this was bad at all. In fact, I thought it was seriously impressive for the fact that this was so low-budget indie that it almost hurt. The first 20 minutes are based around the two purely just grappling and nothing else. Yano finds edges with leg-work as he keeps finding really nifty leg-holds and Fujiwara-style ankle submissions to keep the pressure coming. Kid in turn has to get more scrappy with arm-work; his stuff is nowhere near as impressive, but he doesn't try to be more technically complex, instead just honing in on a more aggressive, strike-heavy style that leaned on being more conventional. They also do more challenging stuff, Yano at one point does a Irish Whip and I can only wonder wtf he was trying to do given there's no ropes lol.

They call back to the first match by having Kid do his backslide into Crossface spot from before, only he modifies it to go for a reverse armbar instead (!!!) Keita also gets a good spot with a kneebar transitioned into a tight toe hold. There's just a wealth of really tricky holds being thrown out here by both guys that get sold well, and progress their own gameplan going in with limb-work; it's definitely a slow match for sure, but the sequences are so fresh and well-put together that the speed doesn't really matter. Keita's just doing these bonkers holds that I've never seen before or since while Kid's just trying to survive and/or grab something cool of his own, and while that sounds like it'd be boring for a hour-long match, it was the opposite: I wasn't tiring of it even after 30/40 minutes had passed. Shit, I was getting more hyped, the bit with Yano grabbing on a Crossface/cravat was god-tier hold-modification, looked sick. Keita gets more desperate as time goes on as he starts pulling out more and more risky moves (including a goofy chair-assisted rolling senton) alongside just grinding the head with painful looking cravat-locks, Kid will not quit and keeps on pushing, you can feel the desperation after a while as there's just no progress on either side in terms of grabbing a fall.

Keita loses patience and starts throwing some hard strikes, which is his undoing as Kid catches him off a tremendously goofy chair-assisted sunset flip, reversing it back and over for the first fall. Kid battles to keep the advantage, but Keita roughs him up with submissions until throwing on a unspeakably awesome lucha-lite rolling reverse cross-armbar thing, like I can't even describe what it looked like because it was like three different submissions at once. That gets the submission fall for Yano, and despite Kid just running in and trying to beat the man to death with rough elbows Yano is able to survive by turtling up and enduring the beating until the bell rings for the draw. Easily one of Keita's MOTY's to be honest; he one-ups himself from the first match with even more sick grappling to fill that time up alongside getting Kid over as not necessarily a technical equal, but a reliable underdog who had to dig and claw for any big advantages. If you can get into the weird Wallabee-house style you will be rewarded with a immensely technical epic that barely let up and was full of exciting moments.