Pro Wrestling Only

[2004-05-14-CMLL] Dr Wagner Jr vs Canek

ohtani's jacket

It's so weird to me that Dr. Wagner and Canek are having a match against each other in CMLL in 2004. I can't be bothered looking up the ins and outs of it, so I'll just say it's weird and leave it at that. I can't imagine that there's anyone, anywhere on the internet, who's interested in watching Wagner wrestle Canek in 2004, but I'll give you a short write up. It's a typically short, mano-a-mano match from this era that would have been better in the 80s but is truncated in the 00s. Wagner has the potential to be one of the best wrestlers in the world in the early 00s, but rarely delivers. I really dug the second fall, especially the way Canek put Wagner away, and I was into the tercera as well until they ran a WWE finish where Dr. Wagner Sr hobbled to the ring with a cane and distracted Canek so that Wagner could shatter a glass plaque over Canek's head. Sports entertainment lucha isn't really my bag, and to make matters worse, Canek had no idea how to time the spot. Can't say I blame him really since it was never really a thing in his day. Canek was stretchered off, which I guess is the lucha solution for everything. My main takeaway from this was how good Canek's deadlift spots looked.