[1980-03-15-AJW] Monster Ripper vs Jackie Sato

Mr JMML

• 1 month later...

1980-03-15
AJW
Jackie Sato vs Monster Ripper
WWWA Singles Title Match

★★

Big title match here as Monster Ripper challenges Jackie for the WWWA Singles Title. Ripper had a huge presence and was the prototype for the Dumps, Bulls and Kongs of the world who followed her and she barely sells anything here, especially in the early stages. 
Despite Jackie’s popularity she hasn’t jumped out to me so far compared to some of the other women in the company. Here she was serviceable once again, but I didn’t think her working underneath this monster was particularly inspired. The best spot of the match was when she suplexed Ripper and her timing on the delay, the same thing Backlund does in his powerlifting spots, was perfect, getting across the effort and achievement of the act.
The thing that kind of killed the match was the finish. The Black Pair, I’m assuming underlings of Ripper, started attacking Jackie on the outside. This relentless beatdown was halfheartedly attempted to be stopped by the other women at ringside but to no avail. Ripper, after swatting a few of the women aside, gets back into the ring and wins via countout. My issue is that the outside interference was allowed despite how blatant it was. There was serious consternation from Jackie, the other women, and also on commentary, that this clearly was supposed to be controversial, but I’m not sure how such blatant interference could be allowed by the referee. Secondly, it was Ripper and the Black Pair up against at least 10 women, including Jackie. How this mass of wrestlers weren’t able to subdue 3 women is beyond me and speaks to a general incompetence or pure indifference from those trying to prevent it. There shouldn’t be hand wringing and there isn’t anybody to blame but themselves, because they got punked.