Pro Wrestling Only

[2004-07-11-WWE-Vengeance] Randy Orton vs Edge

ohtani's jacket

This has a semi-decent video package showcasing a semi-decent reason for Edge and Orton to be feuding and includes at least one good line where Edge tells Orton: ” I may not be a legend, but I dare you to spit in my face .“ What’s cool about this bout is that they take a totally old school approach to it. It’s much longer than you’d expect a IC title defense to be on a 2004 WWE pay-per-view, but they’ve done such a good job of rehabbing the IC belt through Orton that it’s awesome to see the belt holding the same status it did in its glory days. If the idea of a long Orton vs Edge match sounds boring to you, I beg to differ. IIRC, they had some convoluted matches in the late 00s that were excessive, but this is a straight wrestling match for the most part. I probably like the spear vs RKO dynamic more than people who’ve seen it play out a thousand times, but I dug the way the turn buckle being exposed played into the finish. I also love the way Orton make the simple holds he applies seem like vicious submission moves . Lawler was a bit wild during the bout and could have reeled himself in a bit, but this was an excellent bout. Even the hokey acting at the end had a certain charm. If the year has ended in July, I’d have a hard time keeping Orton out of my top 10