Pro Wrestling Only

[1980-02-05-AJW] Yumi Ikeshita & Mami Kumano vs Nancy Kumi & Lucy Kayama

SAMS

1980-02-05
AJW
Yumi Ikeshita & Mami Kumano vs. Nancy Kumi & Lucy Kayama
★★★

Ikeshita and Kumano are “The Black Pair” and are the current tag champions. Their name just hits the nail on the head. The best way I can describe them is a couple of jackals. They did an awesome job patrolling the apron when an opponent was on the outside, waiting to attack when they attempted to climb back in. Honestly at points in this match I felt that there were more than just the two of them based on how they kept swarming. If you’ve seen baby spiders hatch and consume their mother, that was the closest comparison. Kayama was the poor soul here getting destroyed and she barely had a chance.
When Nancy Kumi was able to get in on the action I was really impressed with her. Her offense had serious weight and it looked really crisp. I would definitely be intrigued to see her in a singles setting.
The Black Pair dominated the first fall and, after their hellacious beating on Kayama, she couldn’t hold out any longer and was out for the count. The second fall carried on where the first left off until Kumi couldn’t take it any longer and rules be damned she was coming in to save her teammate. The ferocity of her attacks were able to disperse the Black Pair long enough to get one isolated, nail as many bombs as possible and steal the pin before the other could recover.
Pissed at losing the second fall the two women just stalked the opposite corner the entire break between falls. Kayama looked shaken up from the beating she had endured up to this point and as soon as the bell rang the BP employed their pack attack mentality with vicious intensity, pouncing on their weakened prey. The chaos spilled to the outside and I was sure we were heading towards a double countout, but lo and behold, the unlikely one Kayama was able to slip into the ring just before the count and sneak the victory. We have new champions!
The brawling during the third fall devolved into random chair shots and these really were feather light. I’m all for working safely, but if they are going to be so light with the chairs I’d rather they skip them entirely.
I don’t think I would go as far as saying this was a great match, but I am very comfortable saying that this was a great performance from the Black Pair. Just an excellent display of bully tag team wrestling. Their look combined with their style perfectly and they just seemed so at ease in the ring and in what they were doing. Really impressive.