Pro Wrestling Only

[2002-07-20-AJPW] Genichiro Tenryu vs Taiyo Kea

Superstar Sleeze

Genichiro Tenryu vs Taiyo Kea - AJPW 7/20/02 Budokan

Tenryu is Triple Crown Champion having defended the title three days prior in an epic match against Kojima. Here he takes on All Japan’s other next generation prospect the little talked about Taiyo Kea. I dont know why this is not a title match besides the fact Kea wins and I guess they didn’t want him to be champ but they Never follow it up with a rematch. Weird booking aside this match was really damn good and I had no idea what to expect. I think the only Kea match I watched besides this was first post-split Budokan main event. 

The first strike against Kea is he doesn’t really look interesting or have a hook. I have never once been damn I really want to check this guy out. There’s the unfortunate hair situation which is out of his control. I thought he was tremendous in this match. Amazing young lion fire that makes me wonder why we don’t talk about Kea. The first obvious reason is post-split All Japan is not exactly a hot commodity so that hurts him a lot and also never really getting that big run like Kojima or SUWAMA got.

Kea gives Tenryu a good stiff chop on a rope break. That wakes me and Tenryu up. We both realize Kea has come to play. Tenryu’s reaction is to throw a water bottle at Kea, mine is to get to the edge of my seat. I really enjoyed the strike exchanges in this, crisp & stuff but didn’t feel ritualistic. It was not something they had to do because that’s the house style it felt like they were in a dogfight and battling for control. Tenryu is able to work some hold to consolidate an early advantage.

Tenryu goes to powerbomb Kea. You know how it is kinda 50/50 looking whether he is actually going to get the guy up well this is the time he doesn’t. He just fucking drops Kea on his head. Fucking gnarly. The type of shit that would go viral today. Tenryu then drops him on his head with a brainbuster. 1-2-No. Spider German but Kea scrambles up and kicks Tenryu in the leg while he is in the tree of woe! Genius! Kea works the leg and gives Tenryu a stiff kick to the head for good measure. Great leg work in and out of the ring. Tenryu keeps trying to mount a comeback with potatoes, he was tagging him good. Kea was bowing up and giving as good as he got. Loved the finish run! Especially the order of moves. Kea rocks Tenryu with head shot and hits two TKO’s. Tenryu kicks out. Tenryu being the bigger star and champion you think he is going to close out now. Tenryu tucking decimates him. Powerbomb and Brainbuster. The heat on the Brainbuster kick out was wild. Kea comes back with more head shots and a reverse TKO gives Kea probably the biggest singles win of his career.

Kea main events the next Budokan show against Mutoh, marquee match with Goldberg and then wins the Real World Tag League with Kojima. Unfortunately it looks like he injured for all of 2003 which definitely stymied his momentum. I am curious to see if this was just one off where Tenryu just brought something out of Kea or if he has a good match against Mutoh. Terrific young lion vs veteran champion! ****