Pro Wrestling Only

[2002-08-30-AJPW] KroniK vs Mike Barton & Jim Steele

Superstar Sleeze

AJPW World Tag Team Champions KroniK vs Mike Barton & Jim Steele - AJPW 8/30/02 Budokan

Kids this is why you don’t do Kronik you will get hooked! I was really curious what a WWF midcard match in 2002 All Japan would like and it looked pretty much how I expected. Zero heat. These dudes were wrestling to crickets. You could hear a pin drop. Kronik pretty much phones this one in. Their Mutoh & Kea match they were motivated this they barely tried. Brian Adams cut a promo before the match saying All Japan is the number one federation in the world now that Kronik has arrived. Kronik is the most dominant tag team and he puts all the old gaijin on notice name checking Doc, Rotundo, George Hines, Johnny Smith and of course Barton and Steele as washed. Barton says Kronik is a bunch of Johnny come latelys and he and Jim Steele are All Japan. Nothing like a bunch of white dudes arguing over who is more All Japan 4 life. 

The match itself is dreadfully dull. Barton looked like the only one trying. I’ve seen maybe 3 Steele matches in my life and he did his usual except he had died spiky bleached hair that made him look like Mr. Kennedy. Lots of no bumping early. Barton & Steele were given a “shine” which was Barton hitting a DDT and Suplex. Steele missed on charge and took a spill to the floor. Heat segment was even more boring. Although Brian Adams Military Press continues to impress. Clark misses a charge back Suplex. Barton’s hot tag is pretty good. Reverse top rope crossbody nice power slam. Short heat on Barton who doubles over Adams with a LEFT~! Steele does the most mid-80s hot tag possible with a swinging neck breaker and Russian Leg Sweep. Barton & Steele do a pretty good double splash in series. Steele’s looks the best and gets the only pop of the night. Adams hits the Full Nelson Slam and the Kronik Double Chokeslam wins the day. 

Pretty lame match with Goldberg over for this weekend. I wonder if Ultimo Dragon was Kronik’s handler that would pop me. Yeah don’t watch this.