Pro Wrestling Only

[1990-12-07-EMLL] Atlantis & Sangre Chicana & El Dandy vs El Satanico & Universo 2000 & Ulises

cad

Usually the way that you work a fake foul into a match is at the end. Here they did it in the first fall, and I really can't express how well it worked. If Dandy was furious after being suckered in the first fall, he was ready to have the hair match right then and there after Satanico did one better and outwrestled him in the second. It takes some guts to put your all into a match built around your getting shown up, and Dandy couldn't have done a better job showing his humiliation here. Not just in smacking the turnbuckle with his head in frustration, but also in the way he let his behavior cross the line after each fall, trying to get Satanico worse than Satanico had given to him. I always think of Dandy as the kind of guy who's never willing to let himself get oneupped by a rudo and occasionally willing to give a rudo a taste of his own medicine, but repeated fouls and postmatch attacks are hard to justify from a tecnico. Rather than having Dandy look like a brat, it worked, I think because the indignities got worse as the match progressed, and because Satanico certainly doesn't make himself difficult to hate. There was some great brawling between the two and even a fast exchange off the ropes to show off their skill, and Atlantis is one of the best at the backup role in this kind of match, so the action is excellent too. I just really liked the mind games here and the way they paid off in the eventual apuestas match.

• 8 months later...

Another good trio, even if not a great one. It took a bit for the Dandy vs. Satanico violence to really get its spotlight. Prior to that, there were more moments in this one compared to 11/16/90 where it felt like people were moving around with less purpose (think a Royal Rumble with 13 guys biding time…but not THAT bad). I obviously have to highlight Dandy vs. Satanico itself, and Chicana’s selling again, though. Endless love for those three. They call back to the liar low blow of the super libre match, and milk it even more with Ulises giving Satanico stretch exercises, which was entertaining. Dandy comes over and legitimately headbutts Satanico in the balls for a big pop. These moments were cool, but I think it might juuuust be a bit late in the feud to do that instead of focusing all on violence. At least that’s how I feel coming off the pure venom from the 11/16/90 trio. Might have all been worth it to see Satanico sell it in post, though. I’m about convinced he is the best worker of 1990 by now. I could barely even tell what the finish of this was, I think overall the booking hurt this for no reason this close to the hair match.