Pro Wrestling Only

Gran Cochisse, bad worker or just another guy?

ohtani's jacket

Ringo Mendoza/Hombre Bala/Gran Cochisse vs. El Supremo/Enfermero Jr./Talisman (EMLL, 1/27/84)

Does Gran Cochisse look like a bad worker in this match? Absolutely not. He does a good job of setting up the beef he has with Enfermero Jr while working with El Supremo and later on he does a great job of selling a beating at the hands of Enfermero while also getting his licks in. Is he the worst worker in the bout? Nope. No-one really looks bad in this bout. The younger workers like Mendoza and Talisman are crisper than Cochisse, but Cochisse is the one driving the narrative forward and at the end of the day its his bladejob and the screwiness of the finish that is the talking point of an otherwise forgettable EMLL bout from 1985. People sometimes assume that anyone can work an apuestas feud, but it's not always the case. I didn't see anything from Cochisse here that suggested anything other than 100% commitment to the upcoming revenge bout. Bad worker? Not today, my friend. 

Gran Cochisse, Villano III y Rayo De Jalisco Jr. vs. Fishman, Mocho Cota y Tony Bennetto (EMLL, 11/30/84)

This made the DVDVR set and with good reason. This was an excellent lead-in match to the following week's Cota vs. Cochisse hair match. The Cota vs. Cochisse segments were excellent. Cota bumped the way you'd expect him to, but Cochisse brought the gristle and grit. I had a hard time finding any fault in his performance here. He was an older guy who looked like a Mexican Wahoo McDaniel and was a tough, no-nonsense foil for the flamboyant Cota. He's clearly the dude from the Satanico match and not some bum. The rest of the guys chip in and make this a cracking bout. Cochisse is 2-0 so far. 

Gran Cochisse vs. Mocho Cota (EMLL, 12/07/84)

It's impossible to tell from watching this footage whether it was a good match, but it does include a large part of the tercera and we can at least see that Cochisse was selling for Cota's offense. Some of the transitions were a bit iffy, but that was true for both men. Cota was by far the more dynamic of the two, but I didn't see Cochisse do anything that I would consider remotely bad. He fought exactly how you'd expect Gran Cochisse to fight and the result wasn't a surprise. 3-0. 

G. Cochisse/Solar II/Impacto vs. Franco Columbo/Espectro de Ultratumba/Lemus II (EMLL 3/29/85)

Cochisse did nothing of note in this trios undercard bout. To be fair, neither did anyone else, but I'm going to be strict here. If Cochisse had produced a fun exchange with someone, or matched up better with his chief opponent, Franco Columbo, then I'd be singing his praises. So, I'll go ahead and declare this the first bad Cochisse performance. It also happened to be the most boring lucha match I've seen in quite some time. 3-1.