Pro Wrestling Only

[2024-01-27-CMLL & Wrestling Brothers] Hechicero & Solar vs Negro Navarro & Virus

corwo

The combined age of the participants in contest is over 188. That doesn’t matter in the grand scheme of things, but given what they accomplished, it’s remarkable. The match is what you’d expect from three legendary maestros and a future one. Virus, Solar, Hechicero, and Navarro don’t set out to reinvent the wheel here, but they craft a good, sturdy one which will get you where you need to go.

The extended Virus vs. Hechicero section at the beginning is delightful, a physical chess match where each hold serves the larger purpose of breaking down their opponents until one submits. I can’t recall ever seeing someone, in this case, Virus, countering a stretch muffler by forcing his body backwards into a modified armbar.

There’s a tender moment amongst all the action where Solar traps Navarro in a hold, and Hechicero stomps on the latter’s leg from the apron. Out of respect, or perhaps pity, Solar lets his old rival out of the submission. Solar and Navarro may not be as spry as they used to be, but they pull out some old tricks, including Solar deadlifting Navarro for a powerbomb and Navarro wriggling his way out of it with a sunset flip. Towards the end, we even get a glimpse of Navarro vs. Hechicero, and surprise-suprise, that too, is magnificent.

Eventually, the match gets a bit long in the tooth and loses steam when they all take turns breaking up submissions. I would have preferred something tighter and more compact. Still, I’m always game for four skilled technicians riffing on the mat. This is the wrestling equivalent of a hearty, homemade bowl of chicken soup. It left me satisfied and wanting seconds.