Pro Wrestling Only

[1993-06-16-WCW Clash of the Champions XXIII] Sting, Davey Boy Smith & Dustin Rhodes vs Vader, Sid Vicious & Rick Rude

Superstar Sleeze

Sting, Davey Boy Smith & Dustin Rhodes vs Vader, Sid Vicious & Rick Rude - WCW Clash of the Champions XXIII

I have been so disappointed with the Sid stuff I had been watching that I almost switched to a different project BUT I am glad I stuck with this because this is a ton of fun! Clash 23 is a sneaky good Clash! BW vs Scorp is killer and The main event of Hollywood Blonds vs Horsemen is also great. You add this wicked fun 6-man what a great show!

The reason the match is not remembered more fondly in my opinion is that it feels incomplete. There’s no hot tag. Dustin’s FIP ends with getting pinned. It is a really interesting wrinkle that you almost never see but the body of the match is so good and entertaining that people should still watch this even if the finish leaves you wanting more.

The baby face shine is so good! I am a sucker for a good baby face shine. Sting/Rude start and they have off the charts chemistry. It is too bad we never got that definitive Sting/Rude match. Rude of course bumps and stooges like a champ for the Stinger. The highlight is Sting press slamming Rude onto Vader & Sid catching him and then hurling Rude back at Sting but missing Sting. It was a tough bump for a dude with a bad neck and back like Rude. Even Sid gets in on the fun, pinballing in the corner for the faces. Feeding them clotheslines and taking the rope to the balls. Vader lets Dustin beat the piss out of him. This was an absolutely amazing beat down in the corner by Dustin. Dustin missed a high risk elbow from the top and Vader hits a Vader bomb to consolidate. Strong heat segment on Dustin. Rude who is feuding with Dustin over the US Title gets his licks in. Sid gets the kip up clothesline. Vader gets his receipts. Vader gets power slammed off the top. Dustin reverses the Rude tombstone into his own. TWO AWESOME BABYFACE HOPE SPOTS! Ref missed a tag to Sting. Katie bar the door it is a pier-6 brawl. Sting misses the Stinger Splash into the railing! Vader cracks Dustin with the Halliburton and Rude pins for the win.

No hot tag feels so weird. The baby face shine and heat segment are so good. I loved those two big high spots for Dustin late. This is Dustin’s match, he feels like a huge star. Can’t go higher than ***1/2 but this is a wicked fun ***1/2

• paul sosnowski changed the title to [1993-06-16-WCW Clash of the Champions XXIII] Sting, Davey Boy Smith & Dustin Rhodes vs Vader, Sid Vicious & Rick Rude