Pro Wrestling Only

[1993-01-18-WWF-Monday Night Raw] Ric Flair vs Tito Santana

Superstar Sleeze

Ric Flair vs Tito Santana - WWF RAW 1/18/93

Flair/Tito are a pretty natural pairing and it is a shame we never got a Tito run in Crockett in the late 80s especially post-Strike Force when Tito really was not given much. Flair/Tito have a longer more heralded match in 1991 which I remember liking. Flair is definitely a wrestler who does better with more time because he uses a lot of wrinkles and nuances to establish plot points so compressed Flair is usually not as good.

I thought was a good match but they clearly have a classic in them. It is just the WWF environment is not conducive to that happening. In a lot of ways you can imagine this match happening in your head. Anti-Flair fans may say well Tito didn’t wrestle as pissed as normal and didn’t let the fists fly. Tito did eventually let them fly after two eyepokes but it is true this is a more reserved Tito performance that could come from Flair needing to get his characteristic, headlock-shoulder tackle and back drops in. The classic heel Flair shine is always a crowd pleaser. The Manhattan Crowd was very pro-Flair even Savage acknowledges every Flair fan in the world must be here. I thought after the commercial break it picked up. The eye pokes and Flair’s offense looks great. Tito firing up is always a pleasure. Good finish he hits the Flying Burrito and goes for a second but goes sailing over the top rope to the floor. Perfect attacks Flair in a great brawl. Sometimes they go through the motions in the brawling but this was a fierce one. Awesome Flair promo to set up the Loser Leaves Town match next week against Mr. perfect which is an awesome match! I wish WCW picked up Tito in ‘93 he still had gas in the tank. A good match nothing that will change your life but a solid way to spend ten minutes. *** 

• paul sosnowski changed the title to [1993-01-18-WWF-Monday Night Raw] Ric Flair vs Tito Santana