Pro Wrestling Only

Konnan files lawsuit against TNA

Bix

http://www.wrestlezone.com/article.php?articleid=208073008

I just got off the phone with Konnan and he told me to make the following public:

The lawsuit papers are now officially in the hands of TNA's office regarding racism toward Konnan. In addition to the main issue of him being held back due to racism and discrimination, Konnan also has other topics included in the lawsuit as well.

Promises that were made to Konnan regarding his hip replacement are also a key subject addressed in the lawsuit. The fact that they said they would help him pay for the surgery and didn't, in addition to them not helping Ron Killings with his surgery, yet helped pay for Scott Steiners' recent operation, is also more leverage Konnan plans to bring up.

Several names are mentioned including Jeff Jarrett, Dutch Mantel, Vince Russo, Terry Taylor, and others. WCW's old racial lawsuit has been mentioned as well to support Konnan's argument against Vince Russo and others. Drug usage within the "higher ups" in TNA are also mentioned.

TNA now has thirty days to respond to the suit. Konnan stated that they can settle out of court or of course, go to court in which case he says things will definitely get "messy".

WrestleZone.com will have much more on this in the coming weeks. In addition, we are planning on having a live 5150 with Konnan to discuss the issue further with the man behind the driver seat. We hope to get word from those involved on TNA's side of things, but they may be a little less "open", so don't expect it. But we will definitely do our best.

Well, this will certainly be interesting. I hope the actual suit makes it online.

http://www.prowrestling.net/artman/publish...cle100663.shtml

Powell’s POV: This lawsuit has been in the works for months. I know that Konnan was actually hoping the legal papers would be served to TNA officials on Christmas Eve, but his lawyer determined the case wasn’t ready yet. Konnan claims to have witnessed drug use by TNA office members and has stated that he has a long list of witnesses who can verify his racial discrimination allegations.

I have not read the actual lawsuit, but I know at one time that Jeff Jarrett was a primary target of many of the allegations. Konnan had a much better relationship with Vince Russo than he did with Dutch Mantel over the years and was at one time an advocate for Russo’s creative work, but both men are named in the lawsuit.

Konnan is represented by Cary Ichter, the same attorney that represented several wrestlers in a discrimination case against Turner Broadcasting and WCW. Ichter also represents Michael Benoit, who is said to be considering the possibility of filing a lawsuit against WWE over his son Chris Benoit's suicide.

http://www.prowrestling.net/artman/publish...cle100669.shtml

TNA vice president Jeff Jarrett, head of TNA talent relations Terry Taylor, and creative team members Vince Russo and Dutch Mantel are among the office workers named in the racial discrimination lawsuit against TNA that was filed recently by Konnan (a/k/a Charles Ashenoff).

A source who has read the lawsuit claims that Konnan is seeking $7 million. Among the allegations included are drug use by at least one office worker, as well as racial discrimination—including the use of racial slurs by at least two members of the office staff. The lawsuit also includes a claim that Konnan received prescription drugs from at least two office workers.

The TNA media relations department did not respond to a request for comment before this story was published.

Powell’s POV: These are some heavyweight allegations and it’s important to remember they are just that at this point. As I understand it, Taylor and Russo are mentioned at least in part because they were the targets of a discrimination lawsuit that was filed against Turner Broadcasting and WCW. That case was handled by Cary Ichter, the attorney representing Konnan.

Regardless of the validity of the claims, this could become a public relations disaster for TNA, as Konnan is telling friends that he has contacted three different Latino activist groups regarding this dispute. I’ll have a lot more to say about the lawsuit in the Dot Net Podcast later today.