Pro Wrestling Only

Benoit phone records in the new WON

sek69

I didn't want to start Benoit Topic #708091, but I can't stop re-reading the section in the WON I got today detailing Benoit's cell records.

Key points mentioned:

- Chris was unknowingly blowing Daniel off, not aware that his son had learned to call people using speed dial on cell phones (he was highlighting his father's name and hitting the button). That along with Nancy's texts (which were basically "wtf is wrong with you") is just heartbreaking.

- Apparently after that tag match with CM Punk vs Monty Brown and Elijah Burke where everyone had a brainfart and the ref had to call a shoot DQ, Benoit blew up on everyone backstage. Punk texted an apology to him later that night.

- Nancy was on him to get off steroids since it was causing mood swings, saying it was making him passive aggressive.

- Benoit was depressed over never getting to see his two older kids despite paying $60,000 a year in support.

- People Benoit called on 6/22 include Bill DeMott, Chris Jericho, Delta (to rebook his flight for the PPV I guess), Bob Holly, Rey Mysterio, Teddy Hart (!), "Terry Gordy" (who Dave assumes is Terry Ray Gordy aka Jesse), and Chavo Guerrero.

- Chavo, Jericho, and Scott Armstrong called numerous times, almost every time Benoit would let it go to message and then call to check the message within 3 minutes.

- On Monday before wrestlers got the news, Chavo, Vickie, Finlay and the neighbor who found the bodies called.

- Jericho texted Benoit to let him know about Beef Wellington's death shortly after he was presumed to have hung himself (Dave adds he emailed Benoit at almost the same time with the same info).

- The mysterious third person who Benoit spoke to on 6/22 was John Laurinatis.

- The day after the RAW show, 3 different wrestlers (who aren't named) sent texts to Benoit's phone as a means of some kind of closure.

After reading the story the only question that comes to my mind is why did they wait so long to send police? Clearly Chavo and Scott Armstrong were freaking out (which is probably why they got the infamous "physical address" messages) for several days but no one was sent to investigate until that Monday. Also the story pretty much removes any doubt that WWE didn't know when they did the tribute show. They may not have had official conformation yet, but several WWE officials and agents had been calling all weekend and anyone with common sense would have to reason that something horribly bad had happened.

It doesn't answer any of the Big Questions of course, but it's a window into what was going on during that awful weekend,

Teddy Hart (!)

No real surprise there. Teddy tried to rib me a few years ago, to hand me the phone when I came into the house and have Benoit on the phone with instructions to say "Hey Jingus, this is Chris Benoit and I think you're a faggot". However, Chris didn't answer, which according to this was his usual M.O. anyway.