Pro Wrestling Only

Best Shoot Style Promotion

Guest Andy

Guest Tabe

There's a lot of good stuff on that comp - and a lot of crap, too. Putting the Smith/Suzuki, Dolman & Koslowski matches from 11/29/89 on there but skipping the 5/8/92, 8/13/93 and 6/10/94 shows completely is just stupid.

Andy, at the risk of tooting my own horn, I recommend my Takada Vol 1 comp - it covers his big feuds with Backlund, Maeda, Vader, Albright, Yamazaki and Koshinaka. Yeah, there's non-shoot-style stuff in there but plenty of good stuff from both the UWF and UWFI. And you'll get a feel for a lot of the big stars of shoot-style.

Tabe

Guest Andy

There's a lot of good stuff on that comp - and a lot of crap, too. Putting the Smith/Suzuki, Dolman & Koslowski matches from 11/29/89 on there but skipping the 5/8/92, 8/13/93 and 6/10/94 shows completely is just stupid.

Andy, at the risk of tooting my own horn, I recommend my Takada Vol 1 comp - it covers his big feuds with Backlund, Maeda, Vader, Albright, Yamazaki and Koshinaka. Yeah, there's non-shoot-style stuff in there but plenty of good stuff from both the UWF and UWFI. And you'll get a feel for a lot of the big stars of shoot-style.

Tabe

I already have a place to get a Takada comp :)

I would be really interested in your best of promotions stuff but all the matches are clipped :(

Guest Tabe

I already have a place to get a Takada comp :)

I would be really interested in your best of promotions stuff but all the matches are clipped :(

The couple that UWFI released are really, really good anyway, despite being clipped.

I got asked several times to do a Best of UWFI comp and just never got around to it. If I do another shoot-style comp, it'll either be another volume of Takada or some kind of shoot-style sampler that hits every major shoot-style federation.

Tabe

To be fair, as big a fan of shoot-style as I have been for years, you could probably fit its "essential" history/development/etc into, what, maybe a four-disc DVD set:

The two UWF 1 Takada/Yamazaki matches,

Sayama/Fujiwara,

the Sayama/Maeda thing,

the Maeda shoot kick on Choshu I guess along with one or two matches from the NJ/UWF feud,

Takada/Yamazaki 8/88,

Takada/Maeda 11/88 (I like 1/89 as an "answer" to it, too, but my impressions from the last time I watched it was that it should be only watched as that),

Takada/Backlund,

something covering the Funaki push perhaps (though nothing sticks out, my most vivid Funaki match is the Nakano one),

probably something involving Fujiwara (there's a great upset of Maeda somewhere that I remember)

a Takada/Allbright

something involving Anjoh (you have to, right?)

Han/Nagai 4/93 (start of Han/upstart native)

Takada/Vader 8/94

Han/Tariel 6(?)/95

Han/Yamamoto maybe (either '95 though I prefer the first, personally, as the first Han match I saw)

Han/Tamura series

Tamura/Kohsaka 6/98

an Ikeda/Ishikawa match (they blur for me)

something from U-Style (Tamura/Kohsaka II?)

I'd guess that's only about 8/9 hrs worth, maybe 10, off the top of my head. You'd probably want a "mixed" match where theyd bring in the (kick)boxers or whatever.

Of course there's a lot of great stuff if you like it. I really like Suzuki as the young punk in UWF, where he'd throw dropkicks and legdrops at Fujiwara or whomever before getting killed; he had charisma even then. Something like those would never make a comp of best matches or whatever, but they're stuff you'll enjoy when watching the UWF shows through, for instance. My favourite Takada/Yamazaki match is actually their 5/89 one which no one else has ever really seemed to talk about. I don't think there's a single UWF show I can think of without one redeeming/worthwhile match, and there's only like 20 of them anyway.

• 3 years later...

OK, so somehow as someone that has always really liked both joshi and various different shoot styles, I've somehow never managed to watch a Mariko Yoshida match... thank you so much El-P for mentioning her, she's always been on my list of people I need to watch and I'm just watching some of her stuff with Fukawa and this is so up my street its not even funny.