Pro Wrestling Only

Favorite DVDVR 1980s set

goodhelmet

2) New Japan - A very good set. The top 125 matches weren't far off AJ quality overall. I'm glad I din't have to rate the bottom 50 matches though because 175M rather than 150 was a mistake.

I agree that 175 may be overload but there were two reasons we made it 175. First, there was enough disagreement in match opinions that we each wanted our fair share of personal picks. Second, New Japan had a ton of juniors matches with nostalgia cred that we felt had to be included for the voters even if none of the crew watching the set actually liked the matches.

I don't have any of the Japan sets (from reading this thread I suppose that new Japan should be my next set to get :D ) but out of the Texas, Mid South, and memphis sets that I have bought, I would put memphis ahead ONLY because of the amazing quality of extras. If we were to base the sets only on the top 150 then in my opinion Mid South blows away Memphis from top to bottom. While the top 5 - 10 of memphis is some of the best wrestling in the 80's regardless of set, the bottom 20 or 30 in the Memphis set were pretty weak matches that catch your interest and then completely forgotten when the next match occurs. If Mid South had more extras (not saying they suck just wish there was more), it would be my #1. I think what hurts Texas set for me is that I have seen 75% of it already sometimes many many times.

Of course my voting may change if the hype for this Alabama/other territories set is as good as advertised :P