Pro Wrestling Only

Terry "Bamm Bamm" Gordy

KrisZ

Will said in the Hayes thread that Gordy slides down his list everytime he discovers someone new which I can understand because what's fresh in the mind and new to you will stand out in the moment like any great new album but let's not put any shade on Gordy here. Gordy was a great worker basically from the beginning and was one of the most consistent guys in the business before his health issues caught up with him. Gordy had great matches in every environment he was in no matter the territory he excelled other than WWF. Gordy's matches with the Von Erichs, Dr. Death, One Man Gang are legendary here and then in Japan his matches with Jumbo, Misawa, et al before his stroke were even better. Gordy took over Hansen's role as the best gaijin worker in Japan and was phenomenal in the role and then hooked up with Doc to form one of the most dominant tag teams ever which is amazing considering they only had a 2 year run.

There's nothing wrong with "finding" great lost workers but Gordy's run should not be overshadowed because we have had pretty much every important match he had for the past few years.

I have been waiting for a Gordy topic to pop up in order to ask - what are some specific matches for a person to seek out that demonstrates the greatness of Gordy?

Outside of his 1992 WCW run and random AJP matches, I haven't seen enough of the guy to form any sort of an opinion.

(Saw him live on an independent show in October of 1998 vs Jake Roberts and it was...sad to watch)

I'm kinda interested to see how Dylan would compare him to Blackwell as a worker.

Not sure there is a great deal of comparison here, though it's possible. Gordy is someone I would need to rewatch in a large amount to fairly compare. But comparing him on the Texas Set to Blackwell on the AWA Set I don't think it's a favorable comp for Gordy.

Gordy is a better worker than Patera. Having said that, Gordy does not have a year like Patera in 80 where I immediately think "he was one of the best handful of guys on earth that year." This may be because I haven't watched the right matches in a long time, or footage issues, or the fact that Patera benefits some from others having weak years. But lacking that "career year" that immediately jumps into my head is one of the problems I have when I think about where Gordy rates as an all timer