Pro Wrestling Only

My sit down interview with Dick Togo!

Alan4L

Togo seems like a cool dude. It's always refreshing how "Japanese" Japanese wrestlers are. Gordi will get what I mean, but aside from the odd exception they're just like regular folks. Togo reacted exactly the way you'd expect a Japanese person to react to all of your questions and especially the compliments you paid him. It's kind of tough to get Japanese folks to do any critical thinking or talk about themselves too much which is maybe why he didn't answer some of the finer points of your interview, but he seems cool.

I get exactly what you mean. I've come to notice that myself, but wouldn't have been able to explain it like you did there.

I was really happy with how it turned out, particularly because it was an on the spot thing (I didn't know he'd be there) and had absolutely zero questions planned. I asked the first one and then began thinking of more as the interview progressed.

Togo and his wife were super cool. Really good people.

Togo seems like a cool dude. It's always refreshing how "Japanese" Japanese wrestlers are. Gordi will get what I mean, but aside from the odd exception they're just like regular folks. Togo reacted exactly the way you'd expect a Japanese person to react to all of your questions and especially the compliments you paid him. It's kind of tough to get Japanese folks to do any critical thinking or talk about themselves too much which is maybe why he didn't answer some of the finer points of your interview, but he seems cool.

This is actually a huge weight off my shoulders. I have never gotten a good interview with a Japanese star. This might explain why.

Japanese stars also hate breaking kayfabe, talking about things like favorite matches and opponents.

Who was the translator?

my friend Yujin. He's a Japanese college professor living in England. He works as a go between for a couple of Japanese companies with people in Europe, and minds the Japanese guys when they're over here. Great great guy!