Pro Wrestling Only

Kurt Angle vs. Rey Mysterio

Guest Benjie

Guest Benjie

Kurt Angle vs. Rey Mysterio

I finally got round to watching the full version, or at least the version shown on television and the match doesn?t disappoint at all. Having it in Japan definitely made the match better in some parts because the crowd were really appreciative of the face and heel element that the match had. Whenever Rey played to the crowd they cheered and whenever Angle played to the crowd or cheated they boo?ed. This is missing in the WWE and in the United States in general. Too many spots in the US don?t reach full potential due to the crowd not really caring, and too many heels are cheered for my liking. Hunter, Angle and Eddy are names that immediately come to mind.

I?ve often said that Angle?s best opponent is Mysterio and that is because in their matches Angle actually takes his time and establishes their different roles. In the opening segment, Angle made sure that people were aware that he was the superior mat based wrester and that he was the heel. Angle?s dominated the beginning for a bit, which led for him to gloat, and it ultimately led to his brief downfall. He attempted a Sunset Flip, but Mysterio punished him for even thinking that he could hang with Mysterio in a highflying game by countering it and giving Angle a dropkick to the face. Subtle things like gloating make matches so much more interesting. I just whished more heels in the WWE would do it or use some other form of conventional heel tactics just to show they are heels. Rey also wasn?t afraid to show that he was reluctant to wrestle with Angle as he threw a few strikes here and there and tried to take the contest to favour his highflying expertise.

Angle?s control segment was better than his average one because Mysterio can feed him with counters that not every wrestler can. His focus was working on the body of Mysterio and it worked well because he didn?t just use the conventional moves he usually does. A glaring piece of offence which Angle used in this match that is usually out of his repertoire would be the knees to the back of Mysterio whilst on the mat. Mysterio made the best out of the spot by covering up, which gave a realistic feel to it.

The stretch at the end exposed Angle?s offensive limitations though as Mysterio basically carried the segment by himself. Angle provided a neat counter to the 619 with the Ankle lock, but other than that Mysterio provided all the offence and unsurprisingly he didn?t disappoint due to him being able to trick the fans into numerous false finishes. His selling was also on point as he took his time in between moves to sell the work on his body from Angle earlier in the contest.

The match is certainly up there with the better matches produced by the WWE this year.

***1/2

Posted Image