Pro Wrestling Only

Mr. WrestleMania?

Guest Steffie

Guest Steffie

I was just thinking about how a few weeks ago, Shawn Michaels referred to himself as 'Mr. Wrestlemania' during a promo he was doing to hype his feud with Kurt Angle. Is Shawn Michaels 'Mr. Wrestlemania'? I mean, he's definately one of the most electric stars in wrestling history. He's put on some amazing performances at Wrestlemania in the past, including his iron man match with Bret Hart , and his ladder match with Scott Hall, as well as numerous tag matches along side Marty Jannetty.

Or would it perhaps be The Undertaker? The man who is undefeated, 12-0, at Wrestlemania? Is the 'Phenom' deserving of being called 'Mr. Wrestlemania'?

Or how about Hulk Hogan? Hogan is arguably the man who made Wrestlemania. He main evented Wrestlemanias I to IX, and has had many classic Mania matches, such as that with Andre, Savage , Warrior and so on.

I think Hulk Hogan is worthy of the title 'Mr. Wrestlemania'. As I already stated, if it wasn't for him, Wrestlemania wouldn't even exist. He was the icon of a generation, and more recogniseable that any other wrestler, except maybe The Rock. So until someone outdoes him, The Hulkster will be 'Mr. Wrestlemania' to me.

Man, that's a tough question to answer. I'd have to break it down:

Well, first and foremost, I think that The Undertaker is out of the running. Seriously, I'd only consider him because of his winning streak, and it's a worked record. So, what's the point? The best thing about his Wrestlemania appearances are his entrances. A lot of those entrances, or at least a couple of them, weren't even memorable. Normal Deadman entrances or Walker: Texas 'Taker entrances. His matches are nothing to write home about. Hell, he's faces wrestlers that were passed their prime or jobbers most of the time. Snuka, Roberts, fatties, etc.

When I opened the thread, Hulk Hogan was the name that came to mind. I still think the title should go to him, just because he's done more for the business than HBK has. Of course, a lot of my love for him is based on nostalgia. Still, he's meant more the Wrestlemania than HBK has.

HBK had the first Ironman and Ladder matches at Wrestlemania. He had that entrance where he came from the rafters. Outside of that, though, what has he done? Laid down for Stone Cold? Got punched by Tyson? Lost to Nash?

It has to be Hogan.

Guest Some Guy

I'd say it's Hogan as well. He headlined the first 9, 18, and 19. No one has come close to headlining 11 WMs. He had 3 epics (at WM 3, 6, 18) and only one really good match (5).

Other notable guys to me would be:

Taker has had maybe 2 good matches at WM (14 and 17) and only ME'ed one (13).

HBK has ME'ed 4 (11, 12, 14, 20) and had 6 good/great matches (10, 11, 12, 14, 19, 20).

Bret Hart headlined 4 (9, 10, 12, 13) and had 4 great matches (8, 10, 12, 13).

Austin headlined 5 (13, 14, 15, 17, 19) and had as many good/great matches (13, 14, 15, 17, 19).

Rock headlined 5 (15, 16, 17, 18, 19) had one epic (18) and 4 good/great matches.

HHH headlined 4 (16, 18, 19, 20) and had good matches at all of them.

Savage headlined 5 (4, 5, 7, 8) and had 4 good/great matches (3, 5, 7, 8).

Note: I used the word "headlined" rather than "main evented" because of the semantic arguements that the latter term invokes.

Guest Cam Chaos

Hogan or Taker. Hogan made Mania what it was and became, Taker has the record and the longest tenure appearing at Mania consistently aside from Hogan.

Shawn is delusional.

As much as Taker's WM record is lauded as something to respect by WWE, it really doesn't hold up when you look at it:

WM 7: defeated Jimmy Snuka in a virtual squash.

WM 8: defeated Jake Roberts in yet another squash.

WM 9: defeated Giant Gonzalez by DQ in a match so bad, most wrestling fans wish the memory erasing procedure from Eternal Sunshine was real.

WM 11: defeated King Kong Bundy in a match that was only memorable for having umpire Larry Young as referee (baseball was on strike, you see....)

WM 12: defeated Diesel, which would make this the first WM match so far that actually meant something.

WM 13: defeated Sid for the WWF title in the match most famous for people asking "isn't that the one where Sid shit his pants?"

WM 14: defeated Kane

WM 15: defeated Big Boss Man in a Hell in a Cell. I think we all remember that one.

WM X-7: defeated HHH

WM X8: defeated Ric Flair (but by this point, who hadn't?)

WM XIX: defeated Big Show and A-Train in a handicap match.

WM XX: defeated Kane (again)

So when you look back at the awe-inspiring win streak there's only really 4 or 5 matches where the outcome wasn't so obvious it was practically displayed on the Titan Tron.

Guest The Metal Maniac

The streak is one of those things that is more then the sum of it's parts.

No, the individual matches weren't that good, for the most part, but still, it's something that no one else has even come close to.

Anyway, Hogan is Mr. Wrestlemania. Duh.