Pro Wrestling Only

Matwork/Bodypart Work

dawho5

So I recently ran the gauntlet of early match matwork and how it comes across (to me) in my viewings.

First off, I understand that the catch-as-catch-can stuff came from a different era where it didn't matter so much what you were working, but that you were wearing the opponent down in general so that you could apply the finishing move you wanted. And I actually enjoy that kind of wrestling. But I think that if you're wrestling within the timeframe where working a bodypart because it's injured or it figures into your plans is the norm, you should probably do that. With that in mind, I will get to my point.

I really dug Hase vs. Kawada 5/2/99 for the way Hase always found a way, no matter what hold he came up with off of Kawada's actions, to go back to the injured right wrist. I think that's a really smart way to do early matwork and not have it be just filler. Yes, if the opponent goes in for a headlock, by all means reverse it into a hammerlock. Then, if the arm is not your current focus, find a way to transition into something that is. Too many wrestlers will settle for said hammerlock and ride it out until the opponent makes the ropes.

Another method I like is one Akiyama used a lot. I get that his was specific to certain wrestling styles, as not all styles of wrestling use a lot of lead-in stuff just to land the big near-fall or pinning move. He would work the leg early, then instead of necessarily using the energy that went into, say, a double arm DDT or a jumping knee or whatnot, hit a low dropkick as part of his lead-in to an exploder or brainbuster, taking advantage of the damage to the injured bodypart to achieve his goal rather than having to use brute force. That kind of thing is actually a good way to work from underneath if you ask me, probably one of the smarter ways. And if the bodypart came into the match damaged, all the better.

It's that "for the sake of doing something while we get to the meatier parts of the match" kind of matwork or bodypart work that bothers me. That sort of stuff seems really, really pointless and is one of the reasons I struggle to watch some New Japan stuff. Or some undercard All Japan stuff.